Thursday, January 28, 2010

Career Path Ramblings...

Since I was young I have always loved looking at house plans. I remember the Homes section in our newspaper would feature different floor plans from time to time and I'd cut them out. I still have them somewhere, I'm sure. I would draw out my ideal home, picturesque creek and all. Some of them were pretty detailed. Pages and pages of custom floor plans filled my notebooks.  I would even explore the unfinished homes in my growing neighborhood as a youngster and imagine how they'd look when finished and what I'd do diffferently.



It wasn't until after I graduated with my Bachelors in Information Systems Security that a friend asked me why I didn't go to school to be an Architect. I didn’t have an answer for her. To be honest, it never even crossed my mind and I don’t have a clue why. I have regretted my choice in my degree ever since and have felt like I passed over something I’d be great at. But so goes life – right?? Some paths are taken and some are passed. I’m okay with that. I am very happy where I am right now. That’s what is important.

Today James called me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to go back to school.
“Let me think, NO!
He went on to explain that he knows that I am drawn to (pun intended) architecture both because I’ve talked to him about it and he notices my constant comments on people’s homes, remodeling projects, buildings that are beautiful, buildings that are just out of place etc. etc. etc. Maybe, he says, after the kids are in school I can also go back and get a degree in Architecture. With our construction business it would come in handy – we could be a design and build kind of company. One-stop shopping for customers, in a way.

Now it’s got me thinking…
Insert my Dad saying “Does it hurt?” or “Explains the smoke” here.

Right now I’m a MOM, with capital letters. It is the most important job I have, have ever had, and will ever have. I would never want to do anything that will diminish my ability to be the best mom ever to my sweet children… BUT, I also know that when they are both in school if things remain the same there will be two outcomes.
1. I will get my daily chores done and just have lazy days (not a very healthy option)
2. I will craft, decorate, and shop ourselves into the poor house (not a very financially wise option)

So maybe, just maybe it’s a good idea.  Something to think about any how.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

3 comments:

Ames said...

OH! That is so exciting! I hope you get to do it. I know of a savings program where for every dollar you save they match it with $3 with a cap of a total of $6,000 saved after only putting in $1,500 of your own. I'll have to give you the info so you can start saving for this new adventure!

Shanon Ridenour said...

I would totally love that program! Nothing like free money! When you find the info send it my way.

Lisa said...

I have a good friend who got her master's in Architecture (she has 3 kids and 1 on the way). If you ever want her email, let me know.

Visitors in the last 30 days